Lerato ‘Lights Out’ Dlamini will have to make a sacrifice and watch other people enjoying the festive season while tucking their fingers into the Christmas turkey.
Dlamini will have no time for festivities because he will be preparing for his fight against American boxer Angelo Leo early next year.
Welkom-born Dlamini challenges International Boxing Federation (IBF) featherweight champion Leo in Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States of America (USA) on Saturday, 21 February 2026 (Sunday, 22 February, South African time).
“I feel very ecstatic! This is something I have been working towards. After 10 years as a professional, I am finally getting a shot at a legitimate world title. I am more than ready. I am less than four months away from being a world champion,” Dlamini said.
Colin Nathan, who is Dlamini’s manager and NO DOUBT Management director, said that this deal was brokered with a long-time friend Sampson Lewkowicz from Sampson Boxing Promotions.
“Sampson and I go way back, and when he called me to ask if we were prepared and wanted a voluntary shot at the world title against Leo, I said yes to the contest right away,” Nathan said.
The 31-year-old Leo defeated Japanese boxer Tomoki Kameda by a majority decision in the first defence of his title at Intex, Osaka, Japan, in May. Leo, a former World Boxing Organisation (WBO) junior-featherweight titlist, won the IBF crown after he stopped Luis Alberto Lopez in the 10th round in August last year.